Tuesday, August 31, 2010

" Yikes...My Resume is 2 pages Long!!!"

Just ran across an article about resumes and their length. At "Martin and Associates People Source" our team sees hundreds of resumes each week as we work with restaurant managers. As a restaurant management recruiter, I speak to many candidates who are worried about the length of their resumes and how "too many pages" looks to a potential employer.
My advice...first of all, realize that the look of your resume will, in a lot of cases, be the deciding factor as to whether your background gets a second look. Forgo the pretty flowers...the "fake" expensive paper...and the elaborate illegible artistic print! I actually saw a resume the other day "online" that actually had flashing lights!! To me that's an automatic "file 13". Look, I, as a restaurant management recruiter, I might give your resume 15-25 seconds of "eye time". I don't want to waste my eyesight or my time trying to decipher the writing amidst the personal frills. Keep it neat and legible.
Second, a resume for all practical purposes your resume is merely your "entry ticket" to the interview. It is not your life history, but it is the first impression a hiring manager will have on you with out actually seeing you. With that said, your resume needs to explain you, but should do that in a concise fashion. Forget about giving me your "Career Objective". I know your objective...it's to move your career forward. If you want to include a summary paragraph at the end, I can deal with that. But I want to see your background and experience. In writing that, include as much "pertinent" detail as possible including complete dates of employment with each of your companies...recent employment first then descending.
Include details about your positional responsibilities. List detailed responsibilities not generalities.
Also, list previous responsibilities that translate to the position for which you are applying.
List all of your work experience. Do not stop with just the most recent. I think this is where most folks get concerned. If is runs your resume to more than 1 or 2 pages, that is no the end of the world. The longer your resume dates back, if needed translatable experience can be shortened or abbreviated. Just try not to emit experience that definitely translates to the new position.
Include your education and pertinent accomplishments. Not grade school!! High school and college dates definitely.
Remember everyone that a resume is an introduction, not a life history! The real making point in your job hunt is your interview! Resumes do not have to be written by someone like John Cheever!! Keep it simple and concise.

No comments:

Post a Comment